All of our turkeys are free-range and locally-raised, plus our deli makes entertaining easier with made-from-scratch appetizers (the cheese balls are a favorite!) and side dishes (Green Beans Amandine, anyone?). Don’t forget to pick up a pie – pumpkin, apple or pecan – for dessert! Read more …
Mississippi Market announced the winners of their grant awards at their annual member-owner meeting on October 30, 2014. Mississippi Market had $30,088 slated for awards. Co-op member-owners voted for which organizations would share in the grant. The following organizations will receive a grant from Mississippi Market:
Frogtown Farm - $12,546
Frogtown Farm is the vision of longtime Frogtown residents. For several years, Frogtown Farm has worked in concert with members of the community, The Trust for Public Land, the City of St. Paul and the Wilder Foundation to acquire a 12.7-acre parcel of land for a public park, of which 5.5 acres will be developed as an urban farm. Throughout the past year, Frogtown residents have played a central role in designing the future farm, which will be developed in phases over the next few years and will continue to engage, involve, and be shaped by community members at each step of the way. Frogtown Farm will be a hub for a healthy food system that fills gaps in food production, storage, manufacturing, and distribution.
Hmong American Farmers Association - $7,732
The Hmong American Farmer Association (HAFA) is a membership based, social justice minded nonprofit organization that works with Hmong American farmers in the Twin Cities and the surrounding metropolitan area. The mission of the organization is to advance the economic, social and cultural prosperity of these farmers and their families. Many Hmong farmers face numerous obstacles to farming including lack of access to land, capital, training and alternative markets besides the farmers’ markets. Through cooperative farming, education and advocacy, HAFA works with Hmong farmers to create a path to wealth creation, not just income generation. HAFA was started by and is led by Hmong American farmers and uses an organizing approach to do its work.
Midwest Food Connection – $9,808
Midwest Food Connection (MFC) sends educators into elementary school classrooms to teach about healthy eating, local foods, as well as sustainable and organic agriculture. MFC empowers elementary school children to make healthy and responsible food choices. MFC’s five-year plan includes expanding their education services to middle schools.
Mississippi Market is proud to support these organizations as each of these exemplifies the co-op’s mission of creating positive change in our community by influencing the production, distribution & enjoyment of food:
• Frogtown Farm will serve as a model for multi-cultural community and a catalyst for economic development, wealth creation, community pride, and sustainability.
• Through cooperative farming, education and advocacy, the Hmong American Farmers Associations works with Hmong farmers to create a path to wealth creation, not just income generation.
• The Midwest Food Connection provides children with opportunities to study, taste and enjoy natural and organic foods.
We are thrilled to give Mississippi Market at your door a wider reach throughout the Twin Cities! Now, people in Woodbury, White Bear Lake, Shoreview, Golden Valley, and Apple Valley can schedule a grocery delivery of fresh, healthful food from the co-op.
Here are some reasons to love our delivery service:
- Anyone can use it!
- Our 2.5 hour delivery windows means you’re not waiting at home all day for your order to arrive
- Delivery available Mondays-Fridays 10am-8pm and Saturdays 10am-4pm
- Scheduled service for $9.95 and flexible same-day service for $14.95
- Store receipt pricing as if they went to the store themselves
- choose between paper bags and re-usable ones (just give the delivery driver the bags back after emptied…we will help un-load or patiently wait for them)
- Winter is coming & the convenience can’t be beat.
- Mississippi Market is the only food co-op that delivers in the Twin Cities
- easy online ordering format lets you save your shopping list for next time